The engineering team will follow the below mentioned tasks from until constraints/requirements are finalized and/or there really isn't anything left for addition in these fields:
- Populate the document Questions for Stakeholders from Engineering Side with appropriate engineering-centric questions to ask the stakeholders, that in turn will be helpful in setting the constraints/requirements with support from the user mapping team.
- Work on furthering the research (and documentation) done in the fields of Measurement, Detection Medium, and 🐸Sample Collection aspects of the device. Details could be added in terms of limitations and advantages of different technologies, for example, the advantages and disadvantages of using fluorescence as measurement. Also, collaborate with the biology team in researching fields of sample collection and measurement (reporter mechanisms) as these fields overlap considerably.
- Research test cases/examples of devices that provide information about the suitability and uses of a combination of different technologies for detection and document this in the Case Studies page. For example, studying a paper that describes using LFA detection medium and fluorescence measurement to detect a particular DNA strain or antibody. As the biology team provides further information/requirements, this case study research could be more specific. For example, as the team is currently quite confident that the device will detect DNA or RNA sequences, the case studies will have a focus on the devices produced for the same.
- The team will continue working on point 1 and 3 described above.
- The engineering team will research the sample preparation and reporting mechanism methods recommended by the biology team. Based on the research which should be done by Aug 12, we will decide on which methods to proceed with.
- Upon deciding on sample preparation and reporting mechanism, the team will order required components for testing when on campus. Then we will research and make a decision on the detection medium using the sample preparation and reporting mechanism, case studies, and other available literature. Repeat the ordering thing for detection medium as well.
- The team will also work with the biology team to understand the protocol requirements for using eDNA instead of swabs and work on a device design(s) that can hopefully work with eDNA as well.
- The team will be prototype testing the concepts after quarantine on campus after sept 19.