3. Team Presentation Video
Team Presentation Videos Due
Deadline: October 30, 11:59AM EDT / 11:59 EDT
Please be sure to read through the presentation requirements listed below! Judges will begin their assessment of your presentation videos after this deadline. Please note that the video deadlines should be submitted by 11:59AM EDT (midday). More information about video submission methods will be coming soon.
The presentation video should be clear, engaging, and communicate your project to a broad audience. The focus of evaluation will be on the content and how your project is communicated. Our new virtual format offers more flexibility. You are welcome to think outside of the box and creatively address the format and style of your presentation video.
- Length: The total length of the video should not exceed 20 minutes.
- Format: Video file format should be .MP4
- Resolution: Full HD: 1920 x 1080 (1080p) or higher (4K: 3840 × 2160).
- Aspect ratio: 16:9, landscape orientation.
- Only team student members listed on the official team roster are allowed to present or narrate the team presentation. Advisors, instructors, and PIs are not permitted to present.
- Intro: iGEM will provide a short intro sequence for your video. You should insert this sequence at the beginning of your video. It will be available for download soon.
- Credits: Everyone who contributed to the making of the video should be attributed at the end by short 2-3 seconds text. If you collaborated with someone outside of your team, it is mandatory to provide attributions for them too. You should also clearly attribute who did the video work on your team’s Attribution page.
- Copyrighted Material is NOT allowed: Use materials that are appropriately licensed for reuse, such as open-source code or Creative Commons licensed. You should use royalty-free music, or music licensed for your team to use. Copyrighted images and other materials are not allowed.
- Consent: You should get informed consent for the appearance of people in your video. If there are minors, below 18, appearing in your video - you are required to get parental consent. Please look into Safety Policies on interviews here as well as VRT resources for forms: here
- No country flags are allowed to be displayed in your videos - iGEM is an international competition and we do not want to have any country emphasized over another.
- Rules of Conduct: Your video should be compliant with iGEM’s values and iGEM Rules of Conduct. The iGEM Foundation strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Harassment can be verbal or nonverbal and includes offensive comments, distribution, display, or discussion of offensive material.
Subtitles & narration:
- Subtitles: Please submit subtitles of your video as a .txt file (Timed text format, see example). Do not include the subtitles directly in the editing of the video. The subtitles must be in English, but we also encourage teams to translate them in other languages.
- Narration Language: Primary language of your presentation is in English.
- Multilingual Narration: We encourage recording the audio in your native language too (if it is not English) or in other languages your team speaks. This can benefit you in reaching out to your local communities. This is not a requirement, and doesn't affect the judging of your presentation.
- Project background
- Project goals
- Methodology overview
- Human Practices
- Safety Considerations
- Next Steps
You can find more information and guidance on the Telling Your Story resources page.
The video should be a creative effort by your team.
You can collaborate with people and companies outside of your team and outsource some of the work, but the ideas and the efforts to make the video should be primarily yours.
Audio is important!
Pay attention to your audio recording. Check out our “Video Technology Hub’’ for more tips on planning, filming, editing as well as equipment recommendations:
Presentation Examples: Slides
Below you can find a few sets of presentation slides from past iGEM teams: