Global iGEM Slack Workspace
We have created a Global iGEM Slack Workspace to help you connect with other teams! All team members are welcome to join this workspace, where you can chat, discover other projects, create collaborations, and help each other out with your scientific (and non scientific) dilemmas. It is also a place where you can reach out to your regional ambassadors. The slack workspace is currently only available for participants of the 2020 competition.
Please keep in mind that this is not our primary point of contact for questions and inquiries. Any answer and suggestions given by anyone who is not HQ staff, Ambassador or Committee member may not be the official standing. Teams should still use the official contact email (hq [AT] igem [DOT] org) to get in touch with HQ and the competition website to get all announcements and resources for 2020.
Slack is a collaboration and instant communication hub to help you, your team, and other teams connect, work together, discuss, and share ideas. By sending messages and sharing files in slack, members can chat and work together in a natural way, wherever you are located. A Slack Workplace is made up of public and private channels, direct message sections and integrated apps. You can create channels for different topics, projects, or anything else that’s relevant to your iGEM experience and our iGEM community.
Join the iGEM Global Slack Workspace:
- Follow this slack link. Full link: https://join.slack.com/t/2020igem/shared_invite/zt-dz31ayk0-iLZtsDazYTMQNYFd46mFqQ
- You should identify yourself with your First Name and official Team Name. For example, if your name is Escherichia Coli and your team is iGEM Antarctica, then your name should be Escherichia (Antarctica)
- Check out the #readme channel on Slack for guidelines.
- Start chatting! You can post general questions and comments in the #igemers-room. You can also give a brief description of your project ideas if you would like on the #team_projects channels, so that other teams can learn more about your team. And you can share fun activities, ideas or suggestions in the #Fun! channel!
Here is a list of channels that are currently included. You can also request to make your own channels.
Channels you will be automatically a part of after signing up:
- #0-readMe channel. Guidelines on some general rules to make a correct use of the Slack channel.
- The #1-announcements channel is used for official announcements by Slack Admins and iGEM HQ.
- #2-introduction-room Feel free to introduce yourselves! You can share what you like to do in your free time, what your interests are or anything that you would like to share. Maybe some of us share your passion or want to know more!
- #3-igemers-room where teams can post general questions and start conversations. Everyone is able to post on this channel. Everyone that joins will immediately be part of this channel. Team should: respond to a message ONLY in threads, to keep conversations organized; or create a different channel if the discussion is taking longer or there are many participants, so that it becomes clearer for them.
- #4-team-projects where teams can post a general description about their project.
- #5-events-and-activities: here iGEMers can promote their meetups, webinars or external events that they think could benefit the iGEM community.
- #fun_stuff where teams can share any random/fun information (i.e iGEM Memes).
Other available channels:
- Regional channels: (#region-europe, #region-latam, #region-africa, #region-asia, #region-north-america)
- Topic channels: Each iGEM Competition committee has a channel titled #igem-nameofcommittee. These are channels where you can either discuss committee related topics, or reach out directly to committee members who will be moderating these channels. Committee channels include: #igem-humanpractices, #igem-videotechnology, #igem-measurement, #igem-safetysecurity, and more.
- #contact_ambassadors: Here participants can reach out to the Ambassadors for ideas, discussions, help and such.
- #questions-answers: Here participants can reach out to the iGEM Community of Ambassadors, HQ, Committee members, and other participants with questions about the 2020 competition.Please keep in mind teams should still use the official contact email (hq [AT] igem [DOT] org) to get in touch with HQ
- Your own channels You can request a new channel by tagging [AT]admin. Please note that we do not allow 1-team-only channels, as we want to promote inter-team collaboration and communication.
If you have questions email us at hq [AT] igem [DOT] org.