DNA Distribution Kit
2020 Updates on Distribution Kits
As a result of the current pandemic, we will not be able to manufacture and ship out our 2020 DNA Distribution Kits to teams. This is due to our concern for the safety of our personnel, issues with shipping logistics, and our continued lack of lab access, which has resulted in an interrupted production schedule. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
We know that many of you will also not have lab access, or your lab schedules and lab mentorship will be greatly reduced. We’re working on making this iGEM year more flexible and open, and this includes ensuring that lab work and samples from the distribution kit will not be a barrier to any medal criteria. Lastly, we will have new ways teams can contribute to the Registry for existing and new parts, and get credit for their efforts.
2019 Kits available
We have a very limited number of 2019 kit plates that we recently found that we can ship out to teams this year. Unfortunately, we do not have any of the other normal Distribution Kit materials available (including: Competent Cell Test Kit, Linearized Plasmid Backbone, and Measurement Kit). Information about the 2019 kit plates can be found here: http://parts.igem.org/Help:2019_DNA_Distribution#DNA_Distribution_Kit_Plates .
In order for us to determine which teams will receive the 2019 kit plates we have in stock, we are asking teams to follow the steps below.
Synthesize your DNA. Have you checked to see if you are able to synthesize the part(s) you need using our Partner Sponsor offers? (URL: https://2020.igem.org/Sponsors/Special_Offers)
Get materials from a 2019 team. Do you have access to the Distribution Kit materials from a 2019 team?
- If your school had a team in 2019, we recommend you contact the 2019 team members to see if they stored the kit after the competition ended.
- If you did not have a team in 2019, we recommend you contact a nearby team to see if they can share materials with your team. If you need help finding a nearby 2019 team, you can view the 2019 teams on a map on this page (https://2019.igem.org/Teams) or look up the teams on the 2019 team list (https://igem.org/Team_List?year=2019)
Request 2019 kit plates from iGEM HQ. If you have gone through Steps 1 and 2 without success, then you may request a set of the 2019 kit plates.
The Team Primary PI needs to email the information below to hq [AT] igem [DOT] org:
- Provide documentation that shows DNA synthesis and obtaining 2019 kit plates from a previous team are not possible for your team.
- Provide the list of parts in the 2019 Distribution Kit that your team plans to use this year.
- Team Name (from the 2020 team list: https://igem.org/Team_List?year=2020)
- Team Shipping Address for the kit
The deadline for submitting this request is July 8, 11:59PM EDT.
Unfortunately, we cannot ship kit plates to teams in China due to shipping restrictions on biological materials. We strongly urge our teams in China to work with IDT and the 2019 teams to obtain materials.
Only registered teams who have (1) paid the registration fee or (2) have provided strong evidence that payment will be submitted are eligible to receive the kit plates.
After notification on July 10, it will take 1-2 weeks to ship the plates out as we are working on a very limited in-office schedule during the pandemic. Your patience is appreciated!
The deadline to request kit plates is July 8, 11:59 PM EDT. The team’s Primary PI must email hq [AT] igem [DOT] org by that deadline to be considered. Any request we receive after that date will only be considered if there are plates remaining after the ontime requests have been processed.
Due to a very limited supply, we cannot guarantee that your team will be chosen to receive the 2019 kit plates. We will decide which teams will receive the 2019 plates on July 10 and inform your team by email of our decision.